Boys Over Flowers
Wow. I’m in love with this one. When I started watching this show I wasn’t much interested in it (probably because the first scene of bullying turned me off, when I was expecting a romantic drama). And now I’m hooked. I’m still on episode 21, but I couldn’t wait to write this post. Let me tell you, this is gonna have some spoilers!! 😉
Geum Jan Di
So, we have this lovely but poor high school girl, who’s also a swimmer, named Geum Jan Di, who saves a boy from being bullied by the famous (or infamous rather) F4 in this “high class” Shinhwa School. She is soon given the name of “Wonder girl Geum JanDi”. You will have an instant liking towards JanDi, the fearless child like young girl. Koo Hye Sun, a fabulous and super talented actress, director and so much more is such an all-rounder! Great expressions, great dialogue delivery and great looker.
Beautiful, isn't she?
And, the F4!
You’ll detest them at first. I did too. But I thought they were cute! 🙂 They are:
Gu Jun Pyo 🙂
1. Gu Jun Pyo: The tall, rich, handsome guy with super long legs (aka perfect guy, I mean come on, Lee Min Ho is hot!) is the heir of Shinhwa Group. He practically owns the school and hence never misses an opportunity to bully the students who don’t follow his rules. Lee Min Ho is a brilliant actor. One of the best from this lot and the best I’ve seen yet. Way to Go, LMH!
That's the smile I'm talking about 🙂
2. So Ee Jung: The cutie with the killer smile, this is Kim Bum for you. My mind kinda moves away from the plot and I start focusing on his smile more when he comes on screen. Don’t blame me 😉
3. Yoon Ji Hoo: JI HOO! omg, he’s my new crush. Slightly needs improvement in the acting department but totally blows me away in the looks and personality department! Played by the uber talented singer actor and hot dancer Kim Hyun Joong aka Leader of the Kpop group SS501.
4. Woo Bin: F4 completes with WooBin. The ultimate player and womanizer. He’s cute and goodhearted too, as you’ll see when the drama progresses. I’m still on ep 21 as I said, now moving towards the end of the show (noooo), but I wonder why WooBin doesn’t have a parallel storyline in this show YET? He needs a GF too 🙂
As we move forward, Ji Hoo, JanDi and Jun Pyo (All their names start with J? lol) get involved in a love triangle of sorts. I literally cried when I saw the scenes when JunPyo did something nice for JanDi. I mean, if everyone had boyfriends like that, the world would be a better place. But deep down inside, I wanted JanDi to end up with the sweet, loving, caring and super understanding JiHoo. Hard to choose between love and friendship, eh?
I feel ya, JanDi.
A parallel plot line is of So Ee Jung and our very own JanDi’s BFF Ga Eul (I love her name!). Both make a sweet couple and they tug at your heart strings when you scream inside “END UP TOGETHER WILL YA? COME ON!” haha. The SoEul Couple. Schweeet.
And then there are some scenes of Ji Hoo with his grandpa, towards to end of the show. Doesn’t interest me much, though is integral to the plotline.
Then, we have the ugly -inside-out President Kang, Jun Pyo’s old hag aka mom. She gets in the way of JunPyo and JanDi’s love. Breaks homes. Makes people unemployed. Does all the bad things. If you like her, then probably you’re weird.
Gu Jun Pyo’s sister is one hell of a cutie.
Her introductory scene with the cartwheel is funny, though not intentionally. She’s hot and adds good value to the storyline.
Jae Kyung. Ha Jae Kyung, heir of the JK group about to be merged with Shinhwa group. She becomes Jun Pyo’s fiance. The one we love to hate but just can’t hate. OMG, what about JanDi then? Doesn’t JunPyo like JanDi anymore? Ahh, you’ll see. 🙂
Here is a list of some of my favorite scenes and memorable moments from this show till now:
- (When Jun Pyo and Jan Di are in a helicopter)
Jun Pyo: (On seeing a heart shaped island he owns) I always wanted to bring the love of my life here. JanDi-ya, can you see it? My Heart? 🙂
- When JanDi gives JunPyo a full blown 360 degree turn high kick in the face!. AWESOME! lol
- When they visit New Caledonia and Macau. Great locations and amazing scenery! Makes me wanna visit these places someday!
- When JanDi suffers the pain of getting a chair thrashed on her back. Just for JunPyo. Tears here.
- When Jun Pyo lives with the Geum family for a night! I loved that part! Our little Geum Gang San, JanDi’s bro and JanDi’s dad TOTALLY rock that scene with Lee Min Ho. Hilarious.
- Gu Jun Pyo eating raw Ramyun noodles. LOVED IT.
- Ji Hoo playing any instrument. He’s a rockstar.
- I think the most repeated dialogue in this kdrama is “Dae?” Meaning “Yes?” Try finding one episode which doesn’t have any character saying this. haha Just my observation. 😉
- When Jun Pyo and Jan Di go for skiing, ice skating, shopping, walk on the beach…aaah, all those romantic moments. Love.
- When Jun Pyo says “It’s not PRIIIIVACY it’s P-R-I-D-E” 🙂
- When Ji Hoo participates in the wedding dress competition with JanDi. Oh, what a beautiful couple they make! And she kisses him on the cheek. SO CUTE. 🙂 I envy how JanDi is always surrounded by hot guys! 😀
- Aaah when Ji Hoo speaks English!! This language never sounded better on any other Korean.
(To the guitar player on the streets of Macau)
Ji Hoo: I’m so sorry, can I borrow your guitar? Just once? Okay Thank you.
(Ji hoo smiles wide and so do I) Simple words but awesome accent. Can you feel the fangirl inside me smiling as I type this? lol 😉
Also, I love how awesome friends the F4 are! With JanDi too! Always supportive, always there for each other. Nice!!
Oh, and I looove the OST of this show. Lucky by Ashily, Starlight tears by Kim Yu Kyung, Stand By Me by SHINee, Because I’m stupid and Making a Lover by SS501 are all fantastic!
SO! Didn’t realise how long this post turned out to be! That shows how much I loooove this Kdrama. I’m sure I’ll watch it again. And maybe again. Till I get bored of it, which is never 🙂
If you haven’t watched it, boy are you missing out. And for those who have watched it already, what are you waiting for? WATCH IT AGAIN!
Gu Jun Pyo – Geum JanDi – Yoon Ji Hoo and the rest of F4, fighting!! 🙂